These butterscotch brownies are dangerously delicious and remarkably fast, and easy to make. One bowl. One pan. One magical dessert.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped nuts [Majorly optional. Loath nuts in most baked goods. Bleh]
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Melt butter over stovetop or at 50% power in the microwave. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, egg and vanilla; mix until completely incorporated.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. The mixture will be thick. Spread in greased baking dish. Bake 20-25 minutes in preheated oven. The bake time will depend on the dish you choose!
- Betty Crocker suggests cutting these while still warm. I think they actually cut cleaner when completely cooled. Not that I waited until they were cooled to eat one. No patience! Makes 16 bars.
Recipe from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook 1984 Edition
Note: The only thing I modified in this recipe was the butter. Betty Crocker calls for shortening, but, in my humble opinion, it’s not butterscotch without butter.
Keywords: butterscotch brownie recipe, butterscotch blondie brownie recipe, betty crocker butterscotch brownies