This Maple Sweet Potato Casserole has a crunchy brown sugar pecan topping and is just sweet enough! The filling is sweetened with maple syrup
For the Filling:
- 3 pounds uncooked sweet potatoes, pealed and cubed
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (the real kind, please and thank you)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup butter (cubed)
- 1 t kosher salt
For the Topping:
- ½ cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup flour
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans (toasted)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Boil sweet potatoes in cold water, just covering, until fork tender. Drain well.
- Process into a puree in a food processor, immersion blender or in a ricer.
- While the potatoes are still warm add the butter, stirring until it melts. Then add the maple syrup, eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into a 1 ½ – 2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together in a medium bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until bubbling.
I did like this casserole better when it was prepared right before baking, but an overnight stay in the refrigerator wasn’t the end of the world. IF you do want to make it in advance (and I feel that), then make the filling, put it in the dish and keep it covered in the refrigerator until the day of. Add the topping then bake. This will keep the topping crisp. You could also make the whole thing ahead and then refresh it in the oven before serving.
I halved this recipe for the dish that you see in the photos and in the video
- Serving Size: 10