This American Gingerbread Cake is light, fluffy and moist with the perfect amount of spice! A recipe from the first American Cookbook
- 1g Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- 6g Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
- 8oz Boiling water, 1 cup
- 250g Molasses, ½ cup + 1/3 cup
- 2ea Eggs
- 113g Butter, Room temp, ½ cup or 1 stick
- 115g Sugar, ½ cup
- 250g AP Flour, 2 cups
- ½t Ginger
- ½t Cinnamon
- ¼t Allspice
- Dissolve salt and soda in boiling water, set aside. Butter an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon and allspice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the molasses and eggs until smooth. Add the butter and sugar and beat until smooth. There might be a few streaks of butter left. This is ok and it is almost impossible to avoid some at this stage.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and water and fold smooth.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 350°F convection if you have it, 20-25 minutes or until middle springs back to the touch. It might still look a bit wet in the largest crack in the center but a cake tester or skewer will come out with clinging crumbs and no wet streaks. If you bake until it looks dry, the cake will be dry.
Yield: 1, 8 inch square baking dish
You can make this in a 9×9 inch dish, a quarter sheet tray, or even a 9×11 inch cake pan. Just be aware that it will not be as tall and it will bake closer to 15-20 minutes.