These blueberry scones are soft, tender and moist with the perfect amount of fresh blueberries folded in! A hint of lemon zest rounds out the flavor!
- 321 g All-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 110 g Sugar (~1/2 cup)
- ½ ea Zest of lemon
- ¾ t Salt
- 1 t Baking powder
- 113 g Butter, cold, cubed, ½ cup / one stick
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 115 g Heavy Cream (~1/2 cup)
- 1 c Fresh Blueberries, smaller ones work best!
- ¼ c Turbinado Sugar, for finishing
- 2 T Heavy Cream, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Zest lemon into sugar and set aside. The longer this sits, the more pronounced the lemon flavor.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar with zest, salt, and baking powder. Mix with paddle (by hand) just to distribute ingredients.
- Add butter and mix on low to cut in the butter until the butter is no longer visible and it resembles wet sand.
- While this is mixing combine the vanilla, eggs and cream with an immersion blender or whisk and blend until smooth.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly pour in the cream mixture and mix until almost incorporated.
- Dump out mixture on a dry surface and knead dough together (gently, with love!). Add in the blueberries once no visible dry spots remain and gently fold them in.
- Roll out a rectangle to ½ inch thickness and cut 4 inch strips using a bench scraper. Cut each strip into squares and then cut each square in half on the diagonal to form triangles.
- Place triangles onto parchment lined baking sheet. You can press any scraps into another square or rectangle and cut more scones! Chill completely before baking. You can also wrap them very well and freeze them. Then proceed to baking them straight from frozen!
- Brush scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges, puffed and the centers provide a little resistance when touched gently.
- Cool completely on baking sheets or eat them warm!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: blueberry lemon scones, blueberry scones, scones