These Cinnamon Almond Bars are thin crispy bar cookies with an unexpected combination of cinnamon, almonds, and lemon! A crunchy contrast for your next cookie platter!
- 1 1/3 c Blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 c Butter (226g)
- 2 t Cinnamon
- 1 c Sugar (230g)
- 1 ea Egg, separated
- 2 c All-purpose flour (240 g)
- ½ t Kosher salt
- 1 c Confectioner’s sugar (110g)
- 1 T Butter, melted (14g)
- 1 T Water (9g)
- 1 T Lemon juice (12g)
- Line 9×13 inch baking dish with crisscrossed parchment paper. A metal dish will produce a more evenly crisp cookie. You can also use a jelly roll pan.
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream butter. Add the sugar and cinnamon and beat to mix well. Beat in the egg yolk (reserve the white).
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour and salt. Mix until combined.
- Press into the bottom of lined baking dish and spread and press into the dish with your hands. Try and get it as even as possible. But don’t try too hard. No one will see.
- In a small bowl beat or whisk the egg white until foamy. Brush the top of the dough with the reserved egg white. Spread all the almonds over the top of the dough. Press down slightly to adhere.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown. Mine took about 30 minutes.
- A minute or so before removing the bar from the oven, mix the glaze.
- In a bowl whisk together all ingredients for the glaze.
- Drizzle over the top of the warm bar and spread with an offset spatula if it pooled in areas.
- Cool 20-25 and then cut. I found a serrated knife useful here. Allow to cool completely. Store room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes