Every baker needs a foolproof, fast chocolate buttercream recipe in their repertoire. This is yours! My Double Chocolate Buttercream is phenomenal and is based on this recipe, but sometimes we don’t always have chocolate for melting or the time for that extra step.
This frosting is just as silky, smooth and rich as its cousin, because the salt and vanilla boost the chocolate flavor. But it is just a smidge easier!
Why this Easy Chocolate Buttercream recipe?
- Make it Dutch: Dutch processed cocoa powder is deeper in color and more robust in flavor. It helps temper the sweetness of the confectioner’s sugar and gives you a rich chocolate flavor base for your Easy Chocolate Buttercream.
- Accessorize: I use kosher salt and vanilla extract to enhance the chocolate flavor and really round out the flavor.
- Beat it: I like to combine all ingredients except the cream first and beat that until super silky smooth, then I use the whisk to whip in the heavy cream. This lightens the whole flavor and texture. Voilà, perfection!
- Time: This recipe for easy chocolate buttercream can be made in just under 5 minutes. You can't say that about a lot of recipes!
- Versatility: I can think of so many things this frosting would be absolutely delightful on! (Including just licking it off of the spatula!) A quick one that comes to mind for instance is my One Bowl Chocolate Cake. That bad boy is a tender, moist, chocolate cake layered between frosting. The perfect chocolate cake for birthdays, parties or just because. Continuing the chocolate trend, I'd love to have this on my Death by Chocolate Cupcakes. The Best Death by Chocolate Cupcakes are double chocolate cake, filled with a German’s chocolate ganache and topped with an easy chocolate buttercream. They certainly bring big BOLD chocolate flavors! Chocolate craving undeniably crushed!
Easy Chocolate Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and until light and smooth.
- Switch to the whisk.
- Add cream and whisk on high until light and fluffy and white.