This Mushroom Cornbread Stuffing is flavored with mushrooms and all the herbs! Cranberries are studded throughout for the perfect holiday side dish!
- ½ c Cranberries, fresh, whole
- 3 c Diced mushrooms (I used button and cremini)
- 2 T Celery, finely diced (1 stalk)
- 1 ½ c Onion, diced (1 medium)
- 3 T Rosemary, fresh, picked and chopped
- 1 T Sage, fresh, picked and chopped
- 1 T Thyme, fresh, picked
- 5 T Butter, divided
- 1 T Canola oil
- 1 ½ c Chicken or turkey stock
- 1 Recipe Savory Cornbread (approximately 8 cups cubed)
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, place cubed cornbread.
- Melt ¼ cup butter and sauté herbs, onion and celery until soft, tender and the onions are opaque. Pour over cornbread in bowl.
Return pan to the heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon butter plus 1 tablespoon canola oil. The oil helps the butter not to burn as fast. When pan is hot, add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring minimally to get a nice sear. Once they have started to brown, add a generous pinch of salt. This will help draw out their remaining moisture. Continue cooking until they are a nice brown. Pour over cornbread in the bowl.
- Slowly add stock to the cornbread, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. The exact amount of stock will depend on how dry your cornbread is. If you let it air dry overnight, you will need another ½ cup of stock (so 2 cups total). The amount of salt depends on how salty the stock is. I use unsalted stock, so that I can control my seasoning
- Stir in cranberries.
- Spread into baking dish and bake in preheated oven. Bake until warmed throughout and the top has begun to brown. This can also be mixed the night before and baked when needed!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: cornbread stuffing, mushroom stuffing, thanksgiving side