The perfect Key Lime Pie recipe has arrived! It is silky smooth and delightfully tart! With or without the meringue topping, it is perfection!
- 900 g Sweetened Condensed milk (~2 ¾cup)
- 120 g Crème Fraîche, ½ cup
- 200 g Key lime juice, ¾ cup
- 1 T Lime zest, optional
- ¾ t Kosher Salt
- 126 g Butter, melted, 9 Tablespoons
- 240 g Graham cracker crumbs, 2 cups
- 1 t Kosher Salt
- 44 g Light brown sugar (PACKED, ~3 T)
- 240 g Egg Whites (whites from 8 eggs)
- 225 g Sugar, divided (~1 cup)
- 1/3 c Water
- ½ t Cream of tartar
- 1 t Vanilla
Make the crust:
- Combine all ingredients and press into molds.
- Bake 8 minutes at 350°F
Make the filling:
- Whisk together all the ingredients and pour into the baked crust. The crust can still be warm!
- Bake at 325°F (not convection) 45-60 minutes until they start to have bubbles in the center and the edges have puffed and slightly cracked.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature and then wrap well and chill 2 hours to overnight. For a deep dish, overnight is best!
- In a small pot combine 150g sugar with water. Stir to incorporate. Wipe down and sugar crystals that stuck to the sides. Over medium-high heat, begin to cook the sugar.
- Once the sugar begins to bubble, begin whisking the whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Once they begin to foam, slowly add the remaining 75 g sugar and turn the mixer on high.
- The goal is that the sugar syrup hits 238°F (right before soft ball) as the whites get to stiff peaks.
- You can lower the heat on the stove to give the whites more time or lower the speed on the mixer to give the syrup more time. You are in control!
- Once the whites are at stiff peaks and the syrup hits 238°F, turn up the speed on the mixer to high and slowly pour the syrup down the sides of the mixer bowl into the whites. Beat until cooled slightly.
- Mound on top of the cooled key lime pie! This meringue isn’t very stable because there isn’t a high ratio of sugar to whites, so it is best to add it the day you serve it (or the day before).