These are the best Potato Dinner Rolls. They are easy enough for a beginner baker but are soft, tender and buttery! They use real mashed potatoes for a rich flavor!
- 462 g All-Purpose Flour (3 ¾ cup)
- 1 T Kosher salt (not table salt!)
- 46 g Sugar (3 T + ½ t)
- 2 ea Eggs, large
- 2 T Whole Milk
- 1T + ½ t Dry Active Yeast
- 370 g Mashed Potatoes, cooled (1 ¾ cups)
- 92 g Butter, cold, cubed (⅓ cup + 1 T)
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk (approximately 110°); allow to bloom for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook combine the eggs, potatoes, and milk-yeast mixture. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the mixing bowl and continue to mix on low speed for 15 minutes.
- Add your cubed butter all at once and mix on medium-high speed for 10 minutes.
- Portion rolls into 65 gram pieces, or divide into 16 equal portions. Spray the counter with non-stick spray and shape each portion into boules (rounds) using your thumb as a guide. Place in greased baking dish for tall rolls or on a parchment-lined baking sheet for flatter, but still delicious, rolls.
- Final proof until tripled in size and light and fluffy. Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a dark golden brown. Before serving, brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with a little fleur de sel.
Adapted from Larry Forgione’s potato rolls at An American Place.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: potato dinner rolls with real potatoes, potato rolls tutorial, potato rolls step by step