12 Days of Christmas Cookies
These Spiced Crinkle Cookies are soft pillows of molasses and spice. They are rolled in sugar like all good cookies are…
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a molasses spice cookie and that is a fact.
Bonus points for rolling that cookie in granulated sugar.
These cookies are softer and more cakey than the molasses cookies I made last year. They have a beautiful balance of molasses flavor, spice and sugar without being overly sweet or spicy!
And there is no cardamom! Are you surprised? I was on a little two day cardamom spree. 😉
They do not keep as well as some of the other cookies that I made and were best eaten the day or day after they were made. Definitely not ideal for shipping to loved ones. [If that is what you need, try these, or these, or these!]
This recipe is from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook 1955 edition. Another win for heritage cookbooks!
These Spiced Crinkle Cookies are for the fourth day of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies! You won't want to miss the Cranberry Cinnamon Jam Bars, Rum Refrigerator Cookies, or Cardamom Walnut Snowballs!!
Spiced Crinkle Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¾ cup soft shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- Granulated sugar (for rolling)
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger; set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until combined.
- Mix in the molasses until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until the dough just comes together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Scoop cookie dough (I use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop) and shape into walnut sized balls. Roll in sugar and place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes or just until they crack! If you bake them longer they won’t be soft and pillowy. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
More Cookies to make the season bright!
Grandma's Molasses Sugar Cookies
Spiced Apple Cider Cranberry Cupcakes
Soft Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
Leave a Comment!