This is the BEST Carrot Cake. It is a light, moist cinnamon cake with the perfect amount of carrots!
For the Carrot Cake (Makes 2 layer, 8” Cake)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or pastry flour if you have it) (190g)
- ¾ t baking soda
- ¾ t baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs (150g)
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar (330g)
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable oil (255g)
- 1 T + 1t lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots, packed (250g)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped (90g), optional
For the Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F convection and spray and line 2 cake pans with parchment.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice to the vegetable oil and set aside.
- Squeeze out the excess juice from your carrot using cheesecloth or paper towels; discard or drink it! So healthy!
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip together the eggs and sugar to the ribbon stage. This is when the batter will hold a ribbon on its surface before slowly disappearing.
- With the mixer running on high, slowly pour in the vegetable oil mixture and whisk until completely emulsified (i.e. you can’t see any oil)
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the dry ingredients all at once just until streaky.
- Fold in the walnuts and carrots until there are no more lumps of flour and the batter is just combined. Please don’t over mix. If you think it’s done, it is.
- Divide between the two pans, using a scale to make sure they are even if you are feeling extra or just want to ensure they bake evenly.
- Bake 25 minutes or until you can gently press on the center and feel resistance. It shouldn’t feel like liquid under there!
- Cool 5 minutes in pan then turn out onto wire rack and cool upside-down. Yes, upside-down! Let cool completely before frosting.
This recipe yields one, 2 layer 8 or 9 inch cake. It can also be baked in a small jelly-roll pan or quarter sheet pan.