The Best Chocolate Ice Cream is a bold name, but it is equally matched by the bold chocolate flavor of this custard-based ice cream. It’s creamy and rich, decadently sweet, and it will make any chocolate lover swoon.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted & cooled (I used Ghirardelli 60%)
- Pre-freeze your ice cream maker’s freezer bowl at least 24 hours ahead!
- In a large, heavy-gauge saucepan whisk together the milk, cream, half the sugar, vanilla and salt. Place over medium heat and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining ½ cup sugar. Whisk until mixture is thick and a pale yellow. Whisk in chocolate. Mixture will be thick!
- Temper the Egg Yolks: Add ¼ cup of the boiling cream mixture slowly to the egg mixture while constantly whisking. Once that has been incorporated, add another ½ cup of the cream mixture in a steady stream while whisking. Add the egg yolk mixture to the sauce pan with the remaining cream mixture. Whisk constantly while pouring the chocolate mixture into the remaining cream; you don’t want burnt chocolate! Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and it coats the back of the spoon. This took approximately 5 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Pour into a large bowl, let cool several hours at room temperature or you could use an ice bath to speed it up, cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or until cold. Overnight is best. The mixture will be thick like pudding.
- Place your container to hold the ice cream in the freezer. Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture into the moving, frozen bowl. Churn 25-30 minutes or until the ice cream is soft and creamy but thick. It should be coming out the top of the freezer, churning bowl.
- Place the ice cream in the cold storage container, cover and refrigerate 2 hours or more.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15