These Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies have a flavor trifecta! Nutty brown butter, smooth cream cheese in a brown sugar cookie base, packed with semisweet and bittersweet chocolate chips.
It’s been 2 whole months since I posted a chocolate chip cookie recipe! Practically an eternity. I actually made these Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies MONTHS ago and have been tap, tap, tapping my finger in impatience waiting until it would be “appropriate” to post another CCC recipe.
Seriously I have a problem.
Gahhh! Nutty brown butter and smooth cream cheese mixed in a brown sugar cookies base all surrounding semisweet and bittersweet chocolate chips. I can hardly breathe I’m so in love with these cookies! Soft, chewy, flavorful, and oh, so chocolaty!!!
I took a very professional taste-test bite of the dough, and then I Could. Not. Stop. It’s a miracle that any actually made it into the oven!
I think these brown butter beauties would make my girl, Kayle, the Brown Butter Baking Champion herself, proud. In fact, I think that she and y’all should drop whatever it is that you are doing and run to the kitchen, get that butter in a saucepan, and make these cookies!
Why Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip?
It may come as a shock to you, but I actually created this recipe on the treadmill. #foodbloggerirony
I do most of my creative thinking on the treadmill. Running allows my mind to wander and daydream in a way that I don’t allow it to in everyday life. Working out is my time. It is my reset button. It’s not optional.
Neither is making these cookies. Bake cookies, take one bite, emphatically sigh in happiness.
I’ve already expressed my new found love of cream cheese chocolate chip cookies but the brown butter makes these magical. I have been dying to share them with you!!!
Consequently, why are you still reading? You should be baking!!
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups butter (unsalted, browned and cooled (directions for browning below))
- ¼ cup cream cheese (not whipped, not light)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips 60% (…also Ghirardelli)
- Brown your Butter: In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and continue to cook and swirl until it turns brown, brown bits stick to the bottom of the pan and smells delightfully nutty. Transfer to a bowl to cool (make sure you get all those yummy brown bits too!)
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugars and mix on medium-high speed until creamy and lighter, 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the vanilla with the second egg. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture. I usually do 4-5 additions, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Make sure you add the next addition as soon as most of the flour has been incorporated from the last one.
- Add the chocolate chips either with the mixer or with a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate overnight. I know, I know. Patience, grasshopper. The melted butter makes this step critical. At the very least refrigerate them 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line several baking sheets with parchment or silpat.
- Roll dough into balls approximately the size of a golf ball. Place on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the sides begin to brown and the edges are set. The centers will still look underdone.
- Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. If you are impatient and you eat a cookie too soon, it will seem way underdone. This is how I like them. You do you!
Leave a Comment!