This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes have a tender caramel cake topped with a silky smooth chocolate buttercream! Fill them with more caramel sauce for a decadent treat!
Most chocolate caramel cupcakes are simply vanilla cupcakes filled with caramel sauce. This seemed like a gross injustice to me, so I set to making a cake that was flavored with actual salted caramel sauce. This cake is tender, moist and tastes just like salted caramel.
The cake is light and fluffy and the buttercream is just the right amount of sweet; however, you could top this with my Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream and fill it with more salted caramel sauce for a Triple Salted Chocolate Caramel Cupcake. You could also top them with this easy caramel puff corn recipe for crunch or a vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream!
I used my favorite Salted Caramel Sauce recipe, but you could also use any thick store-bought caramel sauce.
Why not play with some adornments, like toasted pecans on top? You know that’s a tried and true flavor combination from my chocolate pecan pie recipe. With these cupcakes, you really can’t go wrong!
If you tried this recipe and loved it please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I love hearing from you; your comments make my day!
Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes
Homemade Recipes to Next Level Your Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325°F convection.
- Line standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together cake flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time followed by vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl after every two eggs or so.
- Add the caramel sauce.
- Switch the mixer to low and then alternately add the flour mixture and milk. I don’t wait until all the flour has incorporated until I add the next batch. I just keep adding with two hands. Pro-style.
- Scoop or pour into prepared muffin cups. Make sure they are no more than ¾ full or they will overflow.
- Bake in preheated oven until a cake tester comes out with a few clinging crumbs. This will take about 10-12 minutes depending on your oven
- Cool about 5 minutes in the tins then turn them out onto a rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Transfer some of the salted caramel to a piping bag and inject some of the caramel into the center. You can also cut out a small piece and the fill it completely but that always seems unnecessary to me these days.
- Frost with your favorite buttercream! I used my easy chocolate buttercream.