This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the Best Chocolate Buttercream recipe! It is silky smooth and deeply chocolately. It uses both cocoa powder and melted chocolate for an extra rich chocolate flavor!
Stop! The search is over. You have arrived at the best chocolate buttercream frosting recipe EVER. Use it to frost that one bowl chocolate cake, chocolate mayonnaise cake, chewy red velvet cookies or even these chocolate sugar cookies!
Bold statements, but, you know me, and I can back up all those words with reason. First though, let me just tell you how this buttercream made me feel! (I am a millennial after all)
I took one taste and I legit swooned. You know I am practically married to my Italian Meringue Buttercream but I am having a full-on fling with this chocolate buttercream.
It is so rich, so creamy, so decadent tasting and SO EASY!!! The extra bit of melted chocolate tempers the sweetness, so say good-bye to cloyingly sweet American Buttercreams. You know how I feel about chocolate; just as with my Flourless Chocolate Cake and my favorite Chocolate Cupcakes, I am here to make all your chocolate dreams come true.
Ok back it up, Lindsey. I need explanations for those bold statements.
I see you. I appreciate you.
What makes this The Best Chocolate American Buttercream Recipe?
- Make it Dutch: Dutch processed cocoa powder is deeper in color and more robust in flavor. It helps temper the sweetness of the confectioner’s sugar and gives you a rich chocolate flavor base. It’s the same as how I feel about cocoa powder and my Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe! Which, conveniently would be unstoppable with this buttercream.
- Double that Chocolate: I’ll take your rich chocolate base and add melted dark chocolate! This also deepens the flavor, makes the buttercream silkier, and reduces the overall sweetness.
- Accessorize: I use kosher salt and vanilla extract to enhance the chocolate flavor and really round out the flavor.
- Beat it: I like to combine all ingredients except the cream first and beat that until super silky smooth, then I use the whisk to whip in the heavy cream. This lightens the whole flavor and texture. Voilà, perfection!
The Best Chocolate American Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together butter, 10x, cocoa powder, salt, and until light and smooth.
- Add all the melted chocolate and beat in until slightly lightened.
- Switch to the whisk.
- Add cream and whisk on high until light and fluffy and white.