This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A brightly colored Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with a Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette is the perfect way to celebrate and enjoy Summer’s fresh produce!
When I lived in Paris my favorite quick, weekday dinner was an heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. By the time I got home from work, I was famished and too tired to tackle a more elaborate meal in my miniscule kitchen. Take the size of the tiniest New York City kitchen you can imagine, divide that in half, and you have the size of the kitchen in my Paris apartment. I loved it, but it didn’t afford much space for prep work! This heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad comes together in a minute flat; it is fresh and flavorful. Summery perfection!
Now that I have a slightly larger kitchen, this salad is still a wonderful fresh summer appetizer. I use my favorite balsamic vinaigrette dressing to pull it all together. This dressing is amazing by itself but you can also add fresh chopped herbs to turn it into something magical.
Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
For the Salad:
- 4 heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 Avocado sliced
- basil sliced
- Arugula optional
Make the Vinaigrette:
- Mix it all ingredients together and shake or whisk. Because of the mustard, you don’t need to worry about slowly pouring in the oil and whisking. I call this version light because the ratio of oil : vinegar is reverse the usual ratio.
Assemble the Salad:
- Arranges alternating slices of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on a platter. Sprinkle with basil or slide them between the layers.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve.