This easy cinnamon banana crumb bread has a chewy, crunchy streusel topping and is the perfect way to use up those old bananas! It’s so easy that it is all made in one bowl with an immersion blender or in the blender!
In case you’ve been holed up under a Quarantine Rock, let me tell you, banana bread fever has swept the virtual nation.
TBH you’d be hard pressed to find a Food Bandwagon that I didn’t want to jump on straight away…with the notable exception of rainbow bagels, because…just no.
So you know my banana bread cravings were instantly ignited and I HAD TO make some myself.
Now, I’m no psychiatrist, buuuut I’ve long been a banana bread addict, so I feel qualified to diagnose the cause of this craze. Banana bread is the ultimate comfort food and when life gets tough we cling to those edible comforts. Also it’s way easier than the other carby craze – sourdough. Waiting 14-36 hours for your comfort food takes a special kind of dedication.
If you want to hear me chat about my childhood banana bread memories or just want some Nutella swirl up in your banana bread fix, then skip on over to that post, but come back for the streusel!
I have at least 5 different banana bread recipes on AHC because banana bread is life, but this is my first banana crumb bread post. I’ve been making this recipe as mini muffins at the restaurant on and off for years. They are addicting! If I had to guestimate, I’ve probably eaten 50 gazillion of them.
Gahhh the streusel! ?
In order to get that chewy, crispy streusel layer you basically just have to add so much crumb topping that some sinks inside the bread and you get a hidden soft layer under the perfectly crunchy top. To. Die. For.
Banana Crumb Bread
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all ingredients for the crumble. Mix on low until the butter in completely incorporated. The dough should hold together in your hand when you squeeze it. If it does not, you can finish it by hand, squeezing until there are no more dry spots.
- Alternatively you can make this all by hand: combine all ingredient in a bowl and rub the butter into the flour mixture until it holds together in one cohesive dough.
- You can make this ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
For the Batter:
- Preheat convection oven to 350°F. Spray 1-lb loaf pan with cooking spray or spread butter over the entire surface. Coat the inside of the pan with sugar by pouring a bit in the bottom and then tilting the pan so that it evenly coats all the sides.
- In a bowl combine bananas, eggs, sugar, and buttermilk.. Immersion blend until smooth.
- Quickly immersion blend flour, soda, cinnamon, salt and butter into the banana mixture until there are only a few remaining lumps. Be careful not to over mix batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Crumble all the streusel on top of the loaf. Make sure you have some big crumbs and some smaller ones.
- Bake about 50-60 minutes in preheated oven or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out with clinging crumbs.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE: