This Nutella Swirled Banana Bread is a soft, moist banana bread swirled with a generous amount of hazelnut chocolate spread. An easy recipe made in under 20 minutes!
Hey! It’s me, Lindsey. Remember me? Life has swept me up recently and not in a fun, vacation-y kind of way.
Several weeks ago when Life was only “very crazy” I made this Nutella Swirled Banana Bread, because I find banana bread comforting and I was in need of some comfort.
Banana bread: second best thing to a hug, no?
My Mom and I would make banana bread on the regular when I was growing up, and then we would eat it together right out of the pan. Before it cooled.
That’s how we roll.
So when I saw this recipe at Crazy for Crust for Dorothy’s Mom’s banana bread, I knew I had to make it. Comfort incarnate. As soon as she said her mom buttered and sugared the pan, I was done for.
And, yes, sugaring the pan is EVERYTHING.
You will love that this banana bread has a soft, rich texture with the kind of crumb that only comes from using buttermilk.
That swirl of Nutella on the top? That’s my little touch of decadence. It’s the perfect added sweetness, so that there is a little Nutella in every bite, but it doesn’t overwhelm the banana flavor of the bread. You will keep going in for slice after slice! Addicting!
Plus we know I have had a wee bit of a Nutella Problem recently. And you don’t even know the half of it. Let’s just say there was a spoon involved.
This recipe actually blends the banana, eggs and buttermilk together before adding it to the other wet ingredients, which eliminates the uneven distribution of banana problem that I have with a lot of other recipes. It’s my new favorite method!
I love that the bananas shine in this quick bread. No crazy spices to mask the beautiful banana flavor. Absolutely wonderful!
Nutella Swirled Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas (brown spots but not black)
- 2 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup Nutella or chocolate hazelnut spread (be sure to mix up the jar)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan (mine was longer and skinnier with the same volume, so that works too!) and then pour a little sugar into the bottom of the pan, tap the sugar around until it creates an even sugar layer. Tap out any excess.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Put bananas, eggs and buttermilk into a blender and blend until smooth. [I used an immersion blender for this task because I hate my blender.] Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Pour half the banana mixture and half the flour mixture into the butter mixture, and mix with a hand mixer just until smooth. Repeat with the remaining banana and flour mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place dollops of Nutella on top of the batter. I used 5. Using a bamboo skewer or knife, gently poke the Nutella and spread in swirls on top of the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few clinging crumbs attached.
- Cool completely before removing from loaf pan.
Leave a Comment!