This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
In this Cardamom Pear Crisp, bartlett pears are seasoned with cinnamon and cardamom and topped with a brown sugar oat crumble topping.
I have recently decided that there is no better Fall scent than cardamom and cinnamon.
Ever since I bought some dried green cardamom pods for a Moroccan roasted lamb shank, I have had more ideas for cardamom scented baked goods than days in Fall. The scent is intoxicating and relaxing all at the same time. I sneak little sniffs from the container in the kitchen all day. I know it’s kinda weird. Don’t tell.
I opened the container for my husband to take a sniff and he said, “I want to make a pillow out of that.” Indeed. A pillow. Good idea.
Or a pear crisp…
The warm flavors of the cardamom and cinnamon intermingle with the brown sugar crisp and toasted pecans for a flavorful fruit dessert that still highlights the pears!
And, while this cardamom pear crisp generously serves two, you aren’t going to want to share after your first bite! It is warm and comforting and will make you want to cozy up in a blanket next to the fire with a good book.
Or at least that’s how it made me feel!
I used the crisp topping that I created for these Peach Crisp Cupcakes to see if it would work on a larger scale. And does it! It crisped perfectly on top but was still soft!
The proportions are also very easy to adjust for one, which makes this cardamom pear crisp the perfect anytime treat!
Cardamom Pear Crisp
For the Crisp Topping:
Make your crisp topping:
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and ready two small pie dishes or a small baking dish (see Helpful Tools note).
- Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until the butter has coated everything. The mixture should be crumbly but not dry. If yours is a touch dry, add a bit more butter. Be careful, because too much butter will make the topping greasy. Taste test. Sigh with pleasure. You can keep this covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator until needed.
Prepare your filling:
- Core and chop pears into a medium dice. I did not peel mine and I loved the added flavor and texture. The most important thing is that the pieces are relatively uniform in size.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped pears with all the remaining filling ingredients. Pour into your baking dish. I find that it's helpful to do a quick taste test before I add my cornstarch.
- Remove the crisp topping from the fridge and crumble over the top of the entire dish, squeezing the mixture as you go so that it forms some large and small crumbles. If you don’t want to use all the topping, that is fine. It will keep, covered tightly in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for a week.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-45 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the topping is crisp!
- Let cool 10 minutes before digging in! Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!