This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
In this Asparagus Orange Farro Salad boiled new potatoes, crispy raw asparagus, chewy farro, peppery scallions, salty feta and crispy bacon all get tossed in a bright orange vinaigrette for a mouthful of Spring flavors!
Alternate Title: “Spring in a Bowl”.
The orange vinaigrette is bright and basically liquid happiness and sunshine right there on a salad. It’s healthy and light, yet filling enough to power you through the day.
This Asparagus Orange Farro Salad is pretty much everything you need for Spring…except the new shoes and purse(s).
Oh and I invited bacon to the party because…
Because I don’t need a reason; it’s bacon.
I mainly eat vegetarian (Yes, I know bacon isn’t vegetarian. Calm down.) because I work in a steakhouse and there is meat everywhere, but this asparagaus orange farro salad would be AH-mazing with my Foolproof Rosemary Chicken. Amazing.
I also slice some avocados on top for a little extra healthy fat and protein. Plus anyone who knows me knows that avocados are my everything.
You can make all the components of this asparagus orange farro salad ahead of time and just assemble it for an easy lunch, light dinner or fabulous party side dish.
Forget the typical potato salad and surprise your friends with this salad at the next block party (do people still have those?) or bbq!
Spring Asparagus Orange Farro Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 ½ lbs new potatoes I used a mixture of red skins and white skins
- 1 ½ cups uncooked farro
- 10 slices thick cut smoked bacon or turkey bacon
- 1 bunch scallions dark green part cut on bias
- 1 bunch asparagus thin stalks
- 10 stalks kale cleaned, ribs removed and chopped
- Orange suprêmes fancy French for slices of orange without the pith or connective tissue
- Feta cheese
- Avocado [Optional]
- Foolproof Rosemary Chicken [Optional]
- Orange Honey Dressing
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup orange juice no pulp please
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup walnut oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- Boil potatoes in salted water until fork-tender. Shock in ice water to stop the cooking process and also to cool them quickly.
- Meanwhile cook farro with 1 ½ cups cold water, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 large pinches of kosher salt. Bring to a boil uncovered, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and the grains are chewy.
- Meanwhile, cut bacon into ½ inch pieces using a knife or kitchen shears. Cook over medium heat until almost all the fat has been rendered. Drain fat and reserve for another use, and pour bacon onto a paper towel to cool. Crumble.
- While potatoes, farro and bacon are cooking, slice the asparagus, cut the oranges, chop the scallions, chop the kale, cut the avocadoes, and make the dressing.
For the Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a measuring cup or blender. Blend together using an immersion blender or standard blender. Taste, adjust seasoning, and set aside.
For the Salad Assembly:
- Throw everything in a bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss with half the dressing; taste and adjust seasoning and dressing as needed.