This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Homemade Maple Butter recipe uses only 3 ingredients for a rich, salty-sweet butter spread. Maple butter is delicious on toast, quick breads, muffins or dinner rolls.
Sometimes my favorite thing about eating at a restaurant is the flavored butter that comes with a basket of warm dinner rolls. Bonus points if the butter is moreover a salty-sweet spread like maple butter. When I made my Pumpkin Spice Dinner Rolls, I whipped up a quick batch of this easy homemade maple butter to spread inside. There is something about a lightly sweetened butter on a warm roll that just fills my soul with joy.
How to use Homemade Maple Butter?
I also love it on my rosemary sourdough rolls, potato dinner rolls, or whole wheat buttermilk rolls. Use in place of the butter in buttered pecans or other baked goods. Or mix it up and put it on Fall Spiced Cornbread!
Ingredients for Homemade Maple Butter
- Butter: I use unsalted butter for maple butter, because you want to control the amount of salt you are adding. Every brand is different and it makes adjusting the recipe a challenge.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt is less salty than table salt and a teaspoon weighs less than other finer ground varieties. It heightens the flavor here and balances the sweetness.
- Maple Syrup: I use pure Vermont maple syrup for homemade maple butter. They have changed the rating system but I use what used to be “Grade B” and is now “Grade A: dark amber color and robust flavor.” it has the best flavor and is thicker than the lower grades. You can also use “Grade A: Very Dark and Strong Flavor but it is generally very expensive and difficult to find.
Variations on Maple Butter
- Butter: Use a handmade butter or Irish or European style butter for a decadent twist. Just be sure to taste before adding salt. Fancier butters often have added salt.
- Sweetener: Use more or less maple syrup to your desired sweetness. You can also add a bit of brown sugar for added sweetness. This recipe tends towards the savory, so adjust as desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
I use pure Vermont maple syrup. They have changed the rating system but I use what used to be “Grade B” and is now “Grade A: dark amber color and robust flavor.” it has the best flavor and is thicker than the lower grades. You can also use “Grade A: Very Dark and Strong Flavor but it is generally very expensive and difficult to find.
Store maple butter wrapped in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or frozen for 3 months.
Freezing homemade maple butter is a great way to stash some for using all winter long! Make a large batch, wrap well and freeze.
Make as much as you would like! Using room temperature butter will make even large batches a snap!
If you tried this recipe and loved it please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I love hearing from you; your comments make my day!
Homemade Maple Butter
- In a bowl stir together all the ingredients. Be sure that the butter is room temperature or there will be lumps and the maple syrup won’t want to incorporate.
- Use or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.