This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Apple Crisp Energy Bites have no added sweeteners and are only 33 calories each! They are flavored with dried apples, applesauce and apple pie spice! The perfect gluten-free, vegan snack or lunchbox treat.
I’ve been on a bit of a mission to create healthy, easy, portable snacks and breakfasts recently. I’ve been obsessed with these Peanut Butter Banana Energy Bites, my pumpkin bran muffins, apple pie overnight oats, and these copycat KIND bars.
Have you noticed that a lot of the energy bite recipes out there are full of added sugar and fat from nut or seed butters? Same. So disappointing. I set out to make an energy bite with no added sweeteners, all the fiber and all the flavor. The apple pie spice mix plus the oats makes these bites taste like a less-sweet apple crisp. Could you add brown sugar? Indeed. You know the pastry chef in me is here for it!
Table of Contents
What makes these the best energy bites made with applesauce and dried apples?
- The apple pie spice plus oats and apples combination make these healthy energy bites taste like apple crisp!
- These Apple Crisp Energy Bites are packed with fiber from the oats, flaxseed meal and dried apples.
- These are particularly easy, no bake energy bites that don’t use dates. Dates can be overpowering, so apples provide a little moisture and a subtler flavor.
- Dried Apples: Dried apples are here for a little natural sweetness and to act as a binder for the energy bites. Choose ones that look plump and not overly dried.
- Oats: Whole rolled oats are the main dry ingredient in these energy bites. In general, they are gluten free and they act as a dry binder for all the wet ingredients.
- Coconut Oil: I use organic extra virgin coconut oil in energy bites and bars because it acts as a binder, adds a little bit of fat to keep you full and all the other health benefits are a bonus!
- Flaxseed Meal: Flaxseed meal is significantly rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, and it an excellent binder for healthy snacks. The meal absorbs moisture while adding nutrients and a laundry list of health benefits!
- Oat Bran: The bran is the outer layers of the oat kernel. It is mostly fiber but also contains vitamins and minerals. I use oat bran to increase the fiber and also bind together the wet ingredients without adding too many additional calories.
- Apple Pie Spice Mix: My secret ratio for Homemade Apple Pie Spice Mix only has three ingredients but packs all the flavor!
- Applesauce: I use organic unsweetened applesauce for a bit of moisture, additional apple flavor and natural sweetness.
- Lightly sweetened: Add up to 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar for an energy bite that tastes just like apple crisp and is like a little sweet treat!
- Crunchy: Roll the outside in apple chips for a crunchy bite! I would suggest doing this right before serving or the chips will get soft in the refrigerator.
- Caramel: This is going more from the healthy snack side towards indulgence but consider adding a few caramels to the mix for a caramel apple crisp bite.
Substitutions for Apple Crisp Energy Bites
Sadly, there aren’t many substitutions that won’t alter the flavor or require an adjustment in the recipe below. Different fruits or flours will require a different amount of moisture. Wheat bran can be substituted for oat bran but the flavor will be changed a bit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store Apple crisp energy bites in the refrigerator because of the applesauce. Store in a zip-top plastic bag or airtight container.
They will keep up to 2 weeks refrigerated, 3 days at room temperature or 3 months frozen.
Yes! Energy bites freeze beautifully. Keep them in a zip-top container and take them out as you need!
You can make as large a batch of energy bites as your food processor will allow.
Apple Crisp Energy Bites
- In a food processor, process dried apples, oats, coconut oil, spice mix, oat bran, until finely ground.
- Add the water and applesauce and process until a smooth ball forms.
- Roll into balls and chill.
Before You Go!
Check out our other delicious, chef-developed Easy Snack Recipes!