This DIY Hot Cocoa Mix tastes rich and deeply chocolaty but is just as easy as using store-bought packets!
We all know that I am a chocolate snob. This is a fact. I prefer my hot chocolate sinfully rich and decadent; but I cannot argue with the ease of hot cocoa packets.
I am a busy woman who bakes for a living, so forgive me if I’m not excited to whip out the immersion blender to make hot chocolate at 9PM.
About a month ago I was hit with a fierce hot cocoa craving. It was relentless. So I pulled down the cocoa powder, sugar and salt, and I set to making a hot cocoa that tasted rich and chocolaty but was as easy as opening a packet.
I think I made it too good and too easy, because I proceeded to drink this hot cocoa every night for 3 straight weeks. I had to switch to oat milk because it was undermining my diet! ? Side note: oat milk and its best friend, almond milk, are also delightful but not as rich as 2% or whole milk.
This would make an adorable gift for a friend or a neighbor (socially distant hot cocoa drinking!) and extra bonus points if you include homemade marshmallows!
DIY Hot Cocoa Mix Tips & Tricks:
- I use confectioner’s sugar in my hot cocoa mix because it dissolves faster and better than regular sugar. Isn’t silky smooth the whole point? My thoughts exactly.
- I didn’t use milk powder because I generally use milk to make my hot cocoa. If you want to use milk alternatives or water (ummm who are you??), you could add a teaspoon of milk powder (or more) to each mix.
- Make Ahead: You can make one giant batch and scoop 2 rounded tablespoons in a mug with the chocolate when a craving strikes or you can make them in single serving portions like I did in the video.
- In the YouTube video I used 1 oz of chocolate, which is even better, but it is a bit decadent for my everyday cocoa habit ? so I reduced it below, but more is more.
- IMO marshmallows aren’t optional unless you are a whipped cream on hot cocoa person. In that case, you go on with your bad self!
I am including two different recipes below: the first is a single serving hot cocoa mix and the second is in grams so that you can make as large a batch as you want!
DIY Hot Cocoa Mix
- Place all the ingredients in a mug. Microwave on high 1 minute. Whisk gently to begin incorporating all the ingredients into the milk. They won’t completely combine at this point and that is okay!
- Microwave an additional minute on high and whisk to combine. At this point the chocolate should be melted and the cocoa should be completely mixed but perhaps not as hot as you’d like. Continue heating in 30 second intervals until it is as hot as you’d like!
- Add marshmallows. This is not optional. The only option here is how many you will add. I am a 4-6 kinda girl.