This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These flavorful, healthy Chipotle Chicken Chorizo tacos have three different types of chili, chorizo and garlic to maximize flavor not calories! They are piled high with fresh avocado, black beans, cilantro and Greek yogurt!
Did I mention they are ready in under 20 minutes?
“You’re gunna photograph these right?” It was 8 pm and the tacos were disappearing faster than Doritos at a Superbowl party. They were so good, my husband was concerned that I wasn’t going to share the recipe.
But you know what I did? The Master of the Kitchen that I am?
I made them again.
You should also try my Chipotle Chorizo Tacos in homemade sweet potato tortillas, chili chicken burgers, chipotle maple chicken chili, and my sweet and spice wings recipe!
I used a mix of ground chicken and chorizo to get the chorizo flavor with half as many calories!
But let’s be honest; it’s all about the toasted whole wheat pitas. I toast mine right on the induction burner. It was a last minute thing. Sure you could toast them in a pan, but why? It’s so much more fun to watch them bubble on the stovetop. The tortilla gets this nice toasted, almost crunchy exterior but is still soft on the inside. Amazing.
You’re looking at this picture thinking, “woah sour cream! Cool it Lindsey!” But that isn’t sour cream, it’s 2% Greek yogurt. It tastes just as good without the guilt!
You are going to love the spicy chipotle tacos combined with cool 2% Greek yogurt!
And because they come together in under 20 minutes, you’ll actually have time to enjoy them!
If you tried this recipe and loved it please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I love hearing from you; your comments make my day!
Chipotle Chicken Chorizo Tacos
For the Chipotle Chicken Chorizo taco mix
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 3 chorizo sausages casings removed
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 teaspoons spice mix
For the Spice Mix:
For the rest of your tacos:
- 14 oz black beans
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup 2 % Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Pour black beans and their juice into a small saucepot over medium heat; cover and simmer until hot. This usually takes only 10 minutes, but if you forget you can also heat them quickly over high heat in under 5 minutes or in the microwave.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or any other non-nonstick skillet) sauté onions in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until they release their juices and begin to turn translucent. Add garlic and chipotle peppers, stir frequently and continue to cook over medium heat until the onions are almost translucent. Remove onion mixture from the skillet to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same large skillet brown chicken and chorizo sausages until completely cooked. Drain of any excess fat.
- Add the onion mixture back into the pan, stirring to mix. Add ½ cup water or broth, tomato paste and spice mix. Stir to evenly coat the meat with the spices. Cook for about 5 minutes until most of the water has been evaporated. Taste for spice. Add more if desired.
- Turn off the burner you used to cook the filling. Toast the tortillas directly on the hot burner or in a flat bottomed pan, just until each side has crisped and begun to bubble.