This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Italian Turkey Sausage Soup is a healthy take on the traditional recipe using turkey sausage and is hearty and full of vegetables! It is assembled in a snap and bursting with flavor!
This weather is not my idea of a good time. A “polar vortex”? Call it what you will, I did not move to Atlanta to experience colder temperatures than Moscow (a verified fact and shockingly not a hyperbole). The one good thing about this weather is that it is an excellent excuse to make soup.
I do love a delicious, hearty, warming winter soup! I threw together this Italian Turkey Sausage Soup several months ago when it was less meteorologically appropriate to post and I have made it numerous times since!
This is a healthier take on a traditional Italian sausage soup: I use only a teaspoon of olive oil to sauté the aromatics; I use a low fat turkey sausage; I pile in tons of fresh vegetables; and, as always, I keep the salt to a minimum!
This Italian Turkey Sausage Soup is an easy, last minute dinner or lunch that you can prepare with almost any vegetables that you have on hand, which could come in handy if you, too, find it too cold to venture outside.
The soup pot can also be used as a hand warmer. Bonus!
Italian Turkey Sausage Soup
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1.25 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage low fat, casings removed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups great northern beans undrained
- 2 zucchini diced
- 2 carrots unpeeled, diced
- 28 oz roasted diced tomatoes drained
- 2 small potatoes diced
- ¼ t pepper
- ½ t crushed red pepper or more to taste
- ½ c whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups lacinato kale chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté garlic, onion and sausage in 1-teaspoon olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot.
- Then add all remaining ingredients except kale. Simmer gently until pasta and veggies are tender.
- Add kale and continue to simmer until soft; about another 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.