This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Caramelitas are an easy, chewy bar cookie for serious caramel lovers! An oat cookie crust layered with salted caramel sauce and chocolate chips for a salted caramel chocolate flavor explosion!
There is something sneaky addicting about these bars. I think it’s the oats that pull all the flavors together so, somehow, you can’t stop going back for more. More caramelitas, just one more…it’s ok, I’ll have just one more after that! The salted caramel sauce, the savory oats, the sweet chocolate and brown sugar in the dough. It all just works.
It works so well that it made the cut as one of the six chewy bar cookies in my shops Classic Bar Cookie Tin.
If you’re a fan of caramel (and I mean, who isn’t?!), might I so humbly also suggest these Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies? Running right up to the line of “too much” is a favorite hobby of mine. I almost added M&M’s to those blondies but I felt like that was maybe over the line. Or, if you’re feeling classic, my Caramel Apple Tart with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is epic! You also can’t go wrong with caramel butter bars or caramel cupcakes!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray and line your chosen pan with parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, oats, soda and salt. Mix on low speed to combine. You can also melt the butter and then mix the dough by hand.
- Press half of the mix into the bottom of half sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. It will take closer to 10 in a ceramic dish and less than 8 in a metal dish.
- While still warm spread caramel onto base and sprinkle with chocolate. Crumble remaining dough over the top. Bake again for approximately 4 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.