These Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies have a browned butter blondie base that is topped with a mountain of caramel, roasted cashews and pretzels!
Day 2 (Part Two) of the annual 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2021!
Running right up to the line of “too much” is a favorite hobby of mine. I almost added M&M’s to these blondies but I felt like that was maybe over the line.
Mmmm M&M blondies. You know what, next time I am going to put M&M’s in the blondie itself. ‘Tis the Season for “More is More” right?
I couldn’t decide which blondie recipe to use for the base for these Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies but I was on a browned butter baking tear, and I had to go with this oldie but goodie. Magic. The result was sensational! It’s like a good marriage. The Brown Butter Blondie bar bottom deserves its own moment in the spotlight because it is spectacular! It blows every other blondie I’ve ever had out of the water. The caramel topping and bar inspo is from Bon Appetit’s Essential Cookies of 2018. I dog-earred them back in 2018 for just this caramel topped blondie moment!
Don't forget about Part One of Day 2 of the 12 Day Cookie Extravaganza: Hungarian Walnut Rolls!
And who could leave out Day 1, Italian Pizzelles!?
Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies
Brown Butter Blondies:
- ¾ c All- Purpose flour
- 1 t Baking Powder
- ½ t kosher salt
- 6 T Butter
- 1 c Light brown sugar
- 1 Eggs
- ½ t Vanilla
Pretzel Cashew Caramel
- 2 c Roasted cashews
- 1 c sugar
- ¼ c Water
- 2 T honey
- ¼ c Butter
- ¼ c Heavy Cream
- ¾ c Pretzels (slightly crushed)
Prepare the Blondies:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 8x8 inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, swirling several times a minute, until browned bits cling to the bottom of the pan and the butter takes on a slightly nutty aroma. Transfer brown butter to a medium bowl.
- Add brown sugar and beat, with an electric mixer, until well combined and mixture resembles wet sand, 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. The batter will be very thick.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread batter in pan.
- Bake blondie until golden brown or a tester inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- While oven is still preheated or while the blondies are baking, toast the cashews until golden brown and fragrant. You can also buy roasted cashews like I did. It’s not cutting a corner if the results are the same and it makes your life easier!
Prepare Cashew Pretzel Caramel:
- In a medium sauce pot, stir together sugar and water. Heat over medium-high heat, brushing down the sides with a clean pastry brush dipped in water occasionally, until the sugar melts and begins bubbling. Allow to cook, without stirring, until a deep amber caramel forms. Swirl the pot every now and again to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Stir in the honey allowing it to return to a boil. Remove from heat and add the butter and cream, stirring until a smooth caramel forms. Stir in cashews and pretzels. Pour over cooled blondie.
- Allow to set and cool completely. Refrigerate until firm for easier slicing.
- Cut one inch strips and then cut each strip in half for a 1x4 inch bar! Enjoy. Store wrapped in the refrigerator for up to one week. I preferred them at room temperature but highly encourage experimentations 😉
Leave a Comment!