This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies have a browned butter blondie base that is topped with a mountain of caramel, roasted cashews and pretzels!
Running right up to the line of “too much” is a favorite hobby of mine. I almost added M&M’s to these blondies but I felt like that was maybe over the line.
I made these over-the-top bars as part of Holiday baking alongside linzer cookies, spice cookies and nutella cookies. You could also serve them at a birthday party with vanilla bean ice cream or at a block party alongside kolache cookies and one bowl brownies.
I couldn’t decide which blondie recipe to use for the base for these blondies but I was on a brown butter baking tear, and I had to go with this maple pecan caramel brown butter blondie. Magic. The result was sensational!
The Brown Butter Blondie bar bottom deserves its own moment in the spotlight because it is spectacular! It blows every other blondie I’ve ever had out of the water.
The caramel topping and bar inspo is from Bon Appetit’s Essential Cookies of 2018. I dog-earred them back in 2018 for just this caramel topped blondie moment!
Brown butter enhances the flavor in these brownies just like it does in brown butter chocolate chip cookies! Bake a batch for Christmas with Hungarian nut roll cookies and traditional Italian Pizzelles!
If you tried this recipe and loved it please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I love hearing from you; your comments make my day!
Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies
Brown Butter Blondies:
Prepare the Blondies:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 8×8 inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, swirling several times a minute, until browned bits cling to the bottom of the pan and the butter takes on a slightly nutty aroma. Transfer brown butter to a medium bowl.
- Add brown sugar and beat, with an electric mixer, until well combined and mixture resembles wet sand, 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. The batter will be very thick.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread batter in pan.
- Bake blondie until golden brown or a tester inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- While oven is still preheated or while the blondies are baking, toast the cashews until golden brown and fragrant. You can also buy roasted cashews like I did. It’s not cutting a corner if the results are the same and it makes your life easier!
Prepare Cashew Pretzel Caramel:
- In a medium sauce pot, stir together sugar and water. Heat over medium-high heat, brushing down the sides with a clean pastry brush dipped in water occasionally, until the sugar melts and begins bubbling. Allow to cook, without stirring, until a deep amber caramel forms. Swirl the pot every now and again to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Stir in the honey allowing it to return to a boil. Remove from heat and add the butter and cream, stirring until a smooth caramel forms. Stir in cashews and pretzels. Pour over cooled blondie.
- Allow to set and cool completely. Refrigerate until firm for easier slicing.
- Cut one inch strips and then cut each strip in half for a 1×4 inch bar! Enjoy. Store wrapped in the refrigerator for up to one week. I preferred them at room temperature but highly encourage experimentations ?