This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are incredibly moist! The banana and chocolate flavors are in perfect balance. Perfect for breakfast or a light snack.
When I was making breakfast this morning several sad looking bananas caught my eye, and I immediately thought, Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread! Making banana bread when I really wanted to be making double chocolate chip cookies seemed healthier than I wanted to be today, so I pushed aside the little Wedding Fairy and decided to create a Double Chocolate Banana Muffin recipe. I am so glad I did!
In case you are wondering, the little Wedding Fairy is that voice in my head that keeps nagging me to stop eating sweets and threatening that if I don’t, I’ll be too chubby for my wedding dress. She may have a point, but this morning plain banana bread just wouldn’t do!
I started with a basic banana bread recipe from Betty Crocker Cookbook 1984 Edition and then got a little crazy. The ensuing recipe doesn’t resemble the original in the slightest, but these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are so moist and intensely chocolaty that I think Betty Crocker would approve. The chocolate and banana are in perfect proportion, so both flavors shine. It’s magical. Really.
If I am honest with myself (and my Wedding Fairy), then I should acknowledge that the finished product is really more a cupcake than a muffin. I took to Google with my highly scientific question and decided that Stefani from The Cupcake Project had the best answers. Despite evidence to the contrary, I maintain that the difference between muffins and cupcakes is that muffins have no frosting and can be shamelessly eaten for breakfast! These Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are worth getting out of bed for!
I will warn you that when stored in an airtight container, the sugar sprinkles dissolve and will make the tops of the “muffins” shiny and moist. They still taste just as amazing!
I have never had a moister banana muffin than these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins. My first bite (and then second and third) was pure ecstasy!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder I use Droste – It’s divine.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg well beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups mashed ripened bananas (~3 large bananas)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Butter and dust 12-16 muffin tins with cocoa powder or use liners. I made 12 muffins and one tiny loaf for the freezer.
- Sift the first five ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside. I measure my flour by spooning flour into my baking cup directly from the bag until it is slightly mounded. Level with a sharp knife. Do not tap cup or in any way compact your flour.
- Mix sugars, egg and oil well with a wooden spoon. Add milk and vanilla and mix until completely incorporated. Add dry ingredients and gently mix with wooden spoon until mostly incorporated but some lumps remain. Add bananas and chips and lightly mix only until banana is distributed throughout batter. You should still have lumps.
- Scoop batter into tins until ¾ full. Sprinkle coarsely granulated sugar on top if you wish. Bake at 350° F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only some crumbs attached. Make sure that you didn’t just hit a chocolate chip because melted chocolate can make your muffins appear underdone. We don’t want that!