These are the best Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes! They are silky smooth, rich and creamy! Roasted sweet potatoes are sweetened with maple syrup and finished with butter and crème fraiche.
Mix up your sweet potato side this year! Or serve these all Winter long with a perfectly seared venison steak and roasted squash!
These sweet potatoes are my weakness. My culinary Achilles heal if you will. When I was a line cook Chef Marc put maple mashed sweet potatoes on the menu as part of a venison dish. I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. The venison had this spiced rub that still makes me swoon. While this is not his recipe (I can’t find it in my notebooks ?), it comes pretty darn close to my memory of those magical sweet potatoes.
Later, after I became the Pastry Chef, I would trade ice cream scoops for a cup of those mashed sweet potatoes. Sometimes, because they loved me, they would put some sliced venison in there for me. Le sigh. Best snacky ever.
Keys for Maple Mashed Sweet Potato Success:
- Don’t skip the sieve: I know it’s an extra step, but if you want silky, smooth potato purée of any variety, you have to pass it through a chinoise. I use a small 2 oz ladle to help pass it through. As someone who made more potato purée at American Cut Steakhouse than I would truly care to remember [wanna talk about scarred for life, let’s talk Restaurant Week in a steakhouse], I am here to tell you this is essential.
- Crème Fraîche: This is also essential. It has a unique flavor and richness that absolutely makes the mashed sweet potatoes. But if you can’t find it, softened cream cheese with a little bit of milk would be a better substitute than sour cream. Sour cream is too sour and overpowering. Cream cheese has that subtle tang and richness.
Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 lbs Sweet Potatoes (whole, unpealed)
- ½ c Butter
- ⅓ c Maple Syrup
- 3 T Crème Fraîche
- Roast sweet potatoes whole, peal while hot. P
- ass through a ricer or food mill or process in food processor.
- Add butter and maple syrup, allowing the heat of the potatoes to melt the butter.
- Pass through a fine mesh sieve for silky smooth mashed sweet potatoes.
- Whisk in crème fraîche. Cream cheese with a little bit of milk would be a better substitute than sour cream.
Leave a Comment!