These healthy Strawberry Whole Wheat Muffins are packed with fresh strawberries, whole wheat, chia seeds, and lemon. They are hearty, filling and flavorful!
You know that feeling when you are late for an early morning flight and you are rushing around trying to make sure you remember to pack everything, and just as you turn the doorknob to leave, your stomach grumbles so loudly that you are afraid it woke the neighbors? No? Maybe you are a better morning traveler than I.
After a nanosecond of weighing the consequences of delaying my departure a few more minutes this morning, I ran to the kitchen and popped a frozen Strawberry Whole Wheat Muffin in the microwave and then booked it to the elevators!
These healthy breakfast Strawberry Whole Wheat Muffins are packed with fresh strawberries, whole wheat, chia seeds, and lemon. I developed these one lazy Sunday morning and then stashed them in the freezer for days when I need a filling breakfast on the run.
Could you make these even healthier? Sure you could! Each time I make them I try to tweak them without sacrificing taste or texture. They are best fresh from the oven but they are still delicious after thawing. Thaw them in the microwave or oven, toast them and smear on some fresh preserves or cream cheese for the perfect addition to any breakfast!
Strawberry Whole Wheat Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (for batter)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour (for strawberries)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups strawberries (chopped and tossed in 2 teaspoons flour)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel (1 extra large lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease or line 12 standard muffin tins.
- Slice Strawberries
- In a large bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chia seeds; stir with a whisk or fork until the chia seeds are evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice and mix. Stir in the oil, eggs and butter milk until just combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the batter and gently incorporate with a wooden spoon until a more than a few lumps remain. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Add the strawberries and gently fold into the batter. Two or three folds should do it!
- Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in pan and then turn out onto a wire rack.