This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies magically have the texture of a classic shortbread cookie while remaining soft and moist. A sweet brown sugar, vanilla dough is marbled with semi-sweet chocolate chips for a sweet treat that is perfect as dessert or with a cup of coffee!
Day 3 of the annual 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!
Since I switched careers, the first thing people ask is “What’s it like to work in a professional kitchen?”
The long and short answer is “Hard.” Harder than multivariable differential equations; harder than running 10 miles after a leg day at the gym; harder than non-Euclidean geometry; and harder than forecasting the cash flow and balance sheet for a 5 billion dollar business and presenting it to the CEO.
Some days it feels like you can conquer the world and other days you find yourself repeating the mantra “You are a badass. You can totally do this. 130° is not that hot.”
Some days work is easy and intoxicatingly exhilarating, but other days it feels like the kitchen beat you up and left you on the curb to die.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are for those days.
And, let’s be honest, all the days in between!
Imagine the best shortbread cookie that you’ve ever had. Now stuff that full of chocolate chips and brown sugar, and you have this cookie.
It is tender and the crumb is perfectly crumbly without being dry.
It’s so wonderfully buttery and soft that it melts in your mouth.
These cookies created a fanatic following at the last restaurant where I worked. There was talk about these making the best ice cream sandwiches in the world.
Extreme, I know. But I’m just relaying what the people are saying. It was a lot like the first time I brought in a chocolate pecan pie, people were spellbound.
These would also make fantastic gifts! A little unexpected chocolate chip holiday love!
If you tried this recipe and loved it please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I love hearing from you; your comments make my day!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars until lightened and fully combined. Add the vanilla to combine.
- Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the chocolate and mix on low only to distribute the chocolate.
- Scoop batter onto parchment paper and roll into a log about 3 inches in diameter.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice log into ½ inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and the centers are matte and no longer doughy.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 7 days. Dough will keep 7 days in the refrigerator.