These easy Cardamom Crescent Cookies are the traditional Italian crescents but updated with cardamom and hazelnut flour!
Day 6 of the annual 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2021!
More cardamom, Lindsey…really?! Did you just roll your eyes? For shame!
Accordingly, the love affair continues! In the form of Cardamom Crescent cookies. It seems only fitting that we come full circle because the affair started with a vintage Rum Refrigerator Cookie.
These crescent cookies certainly have that crumbly, tender texture that you’d expect from an Italian cookie and a delightfully unexpected coating of vanilla bean powdered sugar. Would it even be Christmas without a gentle but comprehensive dusting of powdered sugar all over your favorite Christmas sweater? I think not.
We adored Part 2 of Day 5: the traditional Pfeffernüsse Cookies!
Part 1 of Day 5 was the wondrous: Moravian Christmas Cookie!
We all loved Day 4 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Orange Financiers!
Day 3 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Pistachio Cranberry Sablee Cookies!
We had Day 2 of the 12 Day Christmas Cookie celebration: Cashew Caramel Pretzel Blondies!
Don’t forget about Part One of Day 2 of the 12 Day Cookie Extravaganza: Hungarian Walnut Rolls!
And who could leave out Day 1, Italian Pizzelles!? Make them all!
Cardamom Crescent Cookies
- At least several hours ahead of time but up to several months, put the spent vanilla bean in a sealed container with the confectioner’s sugar. The longer it sits, the better!
- Combine flour, butter, hazelnut flour, 55g confectioner’s sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Cut in on low with the paddle until a dough forms. Chill 2 hours
- Divide into 20g pieces or approximately the size of a walnut. Roll into ball and then roll out into a rope approximately 2 inches long keeping the center fatter. Curl into a crescent shape and place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined sheet pan. Chill
- Bake 325°F convection until center puffs and starts to crack. The ends will begin to turn golden brown. Allow to cool 10 minutes then toss in sugar mixture.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Even better on day 2!