This Bourbon Pecan Pie is creamy, rich and nutty! My vodka all butter pie crust adds the perfect flaky, buttery base for the pecan pie of your dreams!
It is pie season, y’all!! There is nothing quite like Bourbon Pecan Pie to push me back into that Southern twang. I blame 12 years in North Carolina and Georgia!
Southern food speaks to me on a deep level. Could be the all molasses, brown sugar and butter.
Who am I kidding? It is 100% the butter.
The butter in the pie starts (and ends?) in the crust! I used my vodka all butter pie crust recipe which creates the perfect flaky, buttery base for this dreamy pecan filling. Oh the filling! It is creamy, rich and nutty!
But why pre-cook the bourbon pecan pie filling?
I have a bit of a storied past with pies and you may remember my Epic Pie Crust Disaster from Thanksgiving 2013. This was my first experience with forgetting to multiply just one ingredient in a recipe (there would be many more such moments in my professional career – some salvageable and some destined for the trash).
As a result my pecan pie filling had to sit and wait for me to remake ALL my pie crust dough. For hours the little-pecan-pie-filling-that-could sat over a pot of simmering water just waiting for its crust to be ready.
This is the magical moment when I realized that pre-cooking your filling gently to 130°F before baking it not only sped up the baking process but made the filling thicker, creamier and richer tasting! ? I use that method with all my pecan pies now including this bourbon pecan pie!
You don’t have to precook it, but there will be extra gold stars for those who do!!
Bourbon Pecan Pie
- 84 g Butter
- 230 g Dark brown sugar
- 1 t Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 150 g Light corn syrup
- 12 g Vanilla
- 2 c Pecans (toasted and chopped)
- 1 T Bourbon (or 2 T…I won’t tell!)
1 Pie Dough for a Single Crust
Par Bake Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll chilled pie dough to a little less than ¼ inch thick. Place in pie dish 9-9.5”. Chill completely, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Trim any excess dough that hangs over the edge more than ½ inch. Roll under and crimp decoratively. Chill completely.
- Line with parchment, fill with baking beans or pie weights, bake 15 minutes before removing the parchment and weights. Continue baking until the bottom is golden brown.
Make Pie Filling:
- Prepare filling while crust is resting prior to baking. In a medium bowl melt butter and whisk in sugar and salt. Add eggs and yolk. Whisk to incorporate.
- Whisk in syrup, vanilla, and bourbon.
- Cook over a double boiler (a bowl set over a pot filled with simmering water) until 130°F. Add nuts.
- Pour into prepared, parbaked, warm crust.
- Bake at 275° until done. Approximately 40 minutes.
Leave a Comment!