My Great-Grandmother’s award winning, Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies are a sweet, traditional peanut butter cookie that is crispy but not dry. Each bite is full of peanut butter flavor! They will have you reaching for the next before your better judgment has time to object!
If given a choice between a crunchy cookie and a chewy cookie, I will pick the chewy cookie every single time. But these aren’t just any crunchy cookies. These are my great-grandmother’s prize-winning Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies!
That’s right these two-bite, crunchy cookies won the Clark County Fair in Virginia where cookies are serious business.
Remember how I told you that RoRo, my great-grandmother, would send home each relative home with his or her favorite treat? Well, she would always send us home with a container full of these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies for my dad along with Pecan Tassies for me and Pinwheel Cookies for my mom.
But this post isn’t really about the cookies, even though they are amazing. This post is moreover about the man who loves these cookies.
My Dad and Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
To deviate for a moment from old fashioned peanut butter cookies, I think it's important to let you know a little about my Dad. He is an inspiration. I don’t say it enough but today seemed like the perfect time to let him know just how influential he has been in my life. His achievement is part of what drives me forward: to be better, to be more successful, to be a better person and to someday achieve greatness.
I don’t think he would be super happy if I shared specifics, so today I will speak in generalities. You will just have to trust me. My Dad came from a small town. He got his first job at 8 years old and has never let his determination flag since.
It is significantly from his example that I have learned what it takes to be successful: determination, perseverance, sacrifice, intelligence, and hard work. I am lucky to have such a man for a father. Lucky.
Back to the cookies! I know that’s why you’re here!
If the fact that these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies are award-winning isn’t enough to convince you of their superiority, you should know that they are a sweet, traditional peanut butter cookie that is crispy but not dry. Each bite is full of peanut butter flavor! These cookies will have you reaching for the next before your better judgment has time to object!
Like my father, the awards these cookies have won and my descriptions don’t even begin to do them justice. You’ll just have to trust me. 🙂
Happy Father’s Day, Dad! I love you.
RoRo’s Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugars until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and creamy.
- Reduced the speed to low and mix in the peanut butter.
- In several additions add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture until incorporated and smooth.
- Drop dough by the teaspoon (the actual spoon, not the measuring spoon) onto a baking sheet spaced about an inch apart. Dip the tines of a fork into granulated sugar and press them into each cookie twice in a crisscross pattern flattening the dough, dipping the fork into the sugar between each cookie.
- Bake 10 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. I only bake one sheet at a time, but you do as you wish.
You Might Also Like:
My Favorite Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
Loaded Reeses Peanut Butter Cookies
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
Quadruple Chocolate Pudding Cookies
Leave a Comment!