These Cinnamon Chip Scones with Cream Cheese Glaze are tender, moist cinnamon scones filled with cinnamon chips and topped with the most delicious cream cheese glaze!
If I might be so bold as to say that these Cinnamon Chip Scones taste like cinnamon rolls without all the work!
These scones have, what I like to consider, my signature scone texture. Meaning they are soft, tender and moist, but the perfect amount of dense. Never cakey!
What is the secret to tender Cinnamon Chip Scones?
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients completely! I know this goes against what all the other people say but years of testing and making giant batches at the restaurants has proven to me that this makes the most tender and moist scones. It means you need fewer wet ingredients to make a cohesive dough, which means less gluten! No tough, sad scones here!
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients. In large batches I use an immersion blender but a whisk does the job just fine here! Because you have whisked the eggs into the cream, it means you don’t have to mix your dough while the eggs incorporate. Less mixing after the addition of wet ingredients means more tender baked goods!
- Make the dough in the mixer but finish the dough and fold the cinnamon chips in by hand. A stand mixer will make a more tender scone but finishing by hand gives you the control to incorporate just enough without over mixing. It also gives you the control to get those cinnamon chips all in the dough without overworking it.
I only use Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips for my baking. They have a far superior flavor that doesn’t taste fake. No, I am not getting any money for saying so. They are just the best!
Cinnamon Chip Scones with Cream Cheese Glaze
For the Scones:
- 535 g All-purpose flour
- 184 g Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 8 g Baking Powder
- 189 g Butter (cold, cubed)
- 6 g Vanilla Extract
- 166 g Eggs
- 192 g Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ cups Cinnamon Chips
- Heavy Cream (for brushing)
Cream Cheese Scone Glaze:
- 60 g Cream Cheese (softened)
- 200 g Confectioner’s Sugar
- 30 g Milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix with paddle (by hand) just to distribute ingredients. Add butter and mix on low to cut in the butter until the butter is no longer visible and it resembles wet sand.
- While this is mixing combine the vanilla, eggs and cream with an immersion blender or whisk and blend until smooth.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly pour in the cream mixture and mix until almost incorporated.
- Dump out mixture on a dry surface and knead dough together (gently, with love!). Add the Cinnamon Chips once no visible dry spots remain, and gently fold them in.
- Cut into 3.5 in strips and then cut each strip into squares and then cut each square in half on a diagonal to form a triangle. Place triangles onto parchment lined baking sheet. Keep them in the refrigerator and work quickly to keep dough cold.
- Brush scones with heavy cream.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes (for 3 ½-inch scones) or until golden brown and puffed.
- Cool completely on baking sheets.
For the Glaze:
- Whisk all ingredients together, cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- After scones have cooled glaze them to your heart's content! The glaze might need a little extra whisk before application.
Leave a Comment!