These Red Velvet White Chocolate Cupcakes with a Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream are soft, tender red velvet cake with white chocolate chips baked inside! I make a silky, smooth Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream for a perfect pairing.
Strawberries and chocolate. Perfect together…and even better with white chocolate along for the ride! Sure, she is sitting in the backseat, but she is still bringing a little extra sweetness and some caramel notes.
You could absolutely top these cupcakes with my Favorite Cream Cheese Buttercream! However, the strawberry highlights the chocolate flavor in the cake.
Maybe I'm on a little white chocolate kick right now! But, what sounds better than Red Velvet White Chocolate cupcakes this time of year? Mmmmm...red velvet....white chocolate! White chocolate also plays a prominent role in my White Chocolate Raspberry Mousse from a couple days ago, and I was not kidding when I said eating that was like eating a white chocolate cloud. This dessert is perfect for Valentine’s Day, dinner parties, and special occasions. Also at the top of the list for Valentine's Day is my friend Kayle's recommendation for the Flourless Chocolate Decadence Cake, and not gonna lie Crème Brûlée always strikes my fancy when it comes to small, romantic desserts. I'll leave you with the final choice!
Red Velvet White Chocolate Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 115 g sugar
- 113 g Butter (softened)
- 64 g light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 12 g red food dye
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 113 g sour cream
- 56 g water
- 155 g cake flour
- 55 g cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cups Mini White Chocolate Chips
For the Buttercream:
- 600 g cream cheese (room temp )
- 250 g butter (room temp)
- 220 g powdered sugar
- 20 g lemon juice
- ¼ cups Strawberry Jam homemade or store-bought
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- Grease 3, 8 or 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, which together cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift. I know, this is one of those rare times when it is absolutely essential.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and water until no lumps remain.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time just as combined. Add the food dye and vanilla with the last egg.
- Alternately add dry and sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Divide between the three prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until cake tester or toothpick comes out with clinging crumbs and center of the cake springs back to the touch, approximately 18-20 minutes.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Add lemon juice and jam.
Leave a Comment!