These Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins are a power-packed breakfast or snack that are filling, a little bit sweet, and full of protein. Banana makes them super moist, two types of bran brings that filling fiber, and blueberries add a bit of sweetness! The perfect breakfast or snack on the go!
There are those days where you want to have fun in the kitchen and experiment, and then there are those weeks during which you are so busy you try to remember what scrambling an egg feels like. Just me?
These Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins are for those times, because they are that power-packed breakfast or snack that will see you through even the most stressful times. Let’s be honest, it’s in these times when it is hardest to eat something healthy AND filling AND portable.
These protein bran muffins have seen me through flights (remember those? ?), late-night kitchen services that bleed into early morning production shifts, professional bread school, and let’s not forget jury duty.
Anyone who was on the Anna Delvey trial last Spring, yes, that Anna Delvey ?, saw me eat one of these muffins during our first recess every single day for 3 months!
I use LadyBoss Lean protein powder for these muffins because I'm obsessed! If you use a different brand, you might need to adjust the amount of buttermilk or add additional water.
They are that good. Filling, a little bit sweet, and full of protein.
They are moist with hints of banana and cinnamon. The pre-soaking of the wheat bran in buttermilk is the key to happiness here! It eliminates all the usual problems with bran muffins. Dry, sad and overly sweet to compensate.
I am sure health nuts and die-hard “insert any diet here” fanatics will cry out in protestation that “these aren’t healthy!” Let me just stop you all there. Sub whatever you want, omit all the sugar and use Stevia, but I don’t want to hear about it. Also, I have billed way worse as “muffins” here before! ?
I make large batches of these Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins (usually three times the recipe printed below), cool them down completely and then freeze them in gallon Ziplock bags. I take them out as I need them. Usually I just throw one in my purse still frozen and it has thawed by the time I eat it, but a quick zap in the microwave also does the trick!
Blueberry Banana Bran Muffins
- 345 g Buttermilk (1 ¼ cup +1 Tablespoon)
- 84 g Wheat bran (1 ½ cups)
- 95 g Egg Whites (from 3 eggs)
- 80 g Dark brown sugar (6 T packed)
- 66 g canola oil (⅓ cup)
- 30 g Agave (1 ½ T)
- 200 g Large bananas (mashed, approx 2 large)
- 3 g Vanilla extract (½ t)
- 115 g Whole wheat flour (¾ cup)
- 62 g Oat bran (½ cup)
- 25 g Ground flaxseed meal (2 T)
- 6 g Baking soda (1 t)
- 5 g Baking powder (1 t)
- 1 g Cinnamon (½ t)
- 50 g Whey Protein (I use LadyBoss Lean)
- 130 g Blueberries (fresh or frozen, 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400F [not convection] and either grease 12 muffin cups or line with liners. [In the video I use Large muffin tins, you can do this too!]
- Mix buttermilk and wheat bran and set aside to soak. In another medium bowl mix together all the remaining dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl add egg white, sugar, oil, banana and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Gently stir the dry mixture followed by buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture. Fold until just combine and a few lumps remain. Fold in the blueberries being careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared muffin cups and bake for 15-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool 5 minutes in tins and then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
A 2x batch will make 18 jumbo muffins.