This Sweet Southern Cornbread is a buttery, sweet(er) cornbread with a velvety texture. It is moist, soft and tender; and it comes out perfect every single time.
I taste-tested dozens of recipes to find a cornbread recipe with the perfect texture, level of sweetness and overall flavor. This recipe knocks my socks off. It trumped my delicious family recipe (which I will give to you at a later date). My only regret about this recipe is that I didn’t write down where I got it. Whomever created this National Treasure cannot get credit where credit is so clearly due.
Sometimes I make my family chili recipe or slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken just to feel obligated to make this cornbread. It also goes well with skillet barbecue chicken, spicy peach pork chops, or maple chipotle barbecue chicken.
While this recipe makes a fantastic side dish, it does not make great cornbread stuffing. I recommend the ultimate cornbread recipe for that purpose. You could also make Northern Johnny cakes which is their version of cornbread. It is more like spoon bread in texture.
If you are going to limit yourself to just one piece of this buttery, moist American tradition, then you had better make it a big one!
It should be noted that I have been making this sweet southern cornbread recipe for over 10 years! The restaurant staff begs for me to make this cornbread for family meal, and I happily oblige, which is how I know that you can scale this recipe up to make multiple full sheet pans! Watch it disappear in an instant!
Freezing Leftovers UPDATE: I wrapped my leftover slices immediately after cooling tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and sealed that packet inside a plastic freezer bag. Last night I took it out of the freezer after several months, unwrapped the cornbread from the foil and plastic wrap and re-wrapped the slices in parchment paper. I threw the parchment paper packet into the oven at 400° (I was cooking chicken at the same time) and baked it for ~ 10 minutes or until it is warmed through. It was still magically moist!
Sweet Southern Cornbread
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease an 8” square baking dish or dish of similar size. A cast iron skillet also works! You can even make it all in the same skillet without dirtying another dish. l In this recipe I use butter to grease my dish. I feel nothing else will do.
- In a separate bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Melt butter in a small pot or in the microwave. In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar and butter. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Whisk the buttermilk into the sugar mixture followed by the flour mixture. Mix until no lumps remain. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leave a Comment!