This Funfetti Sheet Cake is decadently moist and packed full of rainbow sprinkles! Spread on your favorite buttercream and get ready to celebrate!
I am probably the only American who took her sweet time getting on board the Funfetti train. I had a bad funfetti experience that, let’s just say, took the “fun” out of “funfetti”.
BUT I’M HERE NOW!!!! Bring on the sprinkles!
I think part of my initial sadness about funfetti cake was that it was all about the sprinkles, not the flavor. So, I decided to fix the flavor and then add sprinkles. What I bring you is the most fabulous vanilla cake with more than our fair share of rainbow sprinkles, because now that I am on this train, more is more!
In addition, this funfetti sheet cake tastes like cake batter even when it is all baked up! Wait, hold up…
Yes, to emphasize, it is like the most delicious cake batter you’ve ever had that doesn’t lose even a minute amount of its glory once baked.
Lean in close now; I’m about to let you in on a little secret. In short, the secret to “cake batter” flavor is just a smidge of almond extract.
You might be thinking, “Lindsey, please, I thought you were a pastry chef. You should know that vanilla cake is flavored with vanilla…?” And it *is*, but that “je ne sais quoi” in cake batter flavor is almond.
And in case the absolute best funfetti cake weren’t enough, I baked it in a rectangular cake pan for all the ease of sheet cake. I’d like to think that makes it extra fun! Or perhaps “Funfetti+”? Let’s make it a thing.
No matter how you ice it, it is already a party!
Funfetti Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (either convection or regular)
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl whisk together the sour cream and milk. Set aside.
- Spray baking dish and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer) cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the extracts with the last egg.
- Alternately add milk and dry ingredients, beginning and ending with dry. Add the sprinkles.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake immediately. Bake in preheated oven until a cake tester comes out cleanm, approximately 25-30 minutes. Be careful not to over bake or it will dry out.