This One Bowl Chocolate Cake is easy! A tender, moist, chocolate cake is layered between the Best Chocolate American Buttercream frosting. The perfect chocolate cake for birthdays, parties or just because.
Nothing says, “I love you” quite like a chocolate layer cake. No one has to know that you whipped it up in under an hour! That will be our secret.
I have other chocolate layer cakes on CLF like this old fashioned fudge cake, this moist chocolate mayonnaise cake, or even this chocolate zucchini cake. They all have their place but everyone needs a one bowl, no fuss recipe in their arsenal.
This cake was not part of the plan. There was a more elaborate layer cake planned.
But I had a craving: An easy chocolate cake with simple chocolate buttercream craving fueled by nostalgia. It had to be a soft, tender cake with creamy chocolate buttercream. Most of all it had to be EASY! So I pushed my cherry bourbon cake plans to the side and set about developing a one bowl chocolate cake recipe that would be tender, moist, and taste like childhood.
A side note about the chocolate buttercream...this is hands down the Best Chocolate American Buttercream recipe! It is silky smooth and deeply chocolately. It uses both cocoa powder and melted chocolate for an extra rich chocolate flavor!
I took one taste and I legit swooned. You know I am practically married to my Italian Meringue Buttercream but I am having a full-on fling with this chocolate buttercream.
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- 200 g Canola Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 575 g Sugar
- 370 g Milk
- 12 g Vanilla Extract
- 6 g Baking Powder
- 3 g Baking Soda
- 6 g Kosher Salt
- 90 g Cocoa Powder
- 350 g All Purpose Flour
- Spray and line two, nine inch cake pans with nonstick spray and parchment.
- In one bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until smooth. Whisk in oil until emulsified (no visible oil).
- Whisk in sugar followed by milk and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in dry mixture.
- Divide between pans
- Bake 325 18-22 minutes or until cake tester comes out with clinging crumbs
- Cool completely before frosting with your favorite buttercream
Leave a Comment!